I am not a big fan of sandwiches, but sometimes you have to give in and give them a try. While we were in Utah my sister in law told me about a yummy summer sandwich she had been making, and then wouldnt you guess that and another version showed up here. I was intrigued, but I have to admit, I needed to make a few modifications before the sandwich was really something I could get excited about.
The first step was to add some meat... vegetarian sandwiches are great, but I needed something a bit more filling. We settled on adding grilled chicken breasts. The next step was to get rid of the fresh basil, we loved the flavor, but Brian couldnt get excited about leaves on his sandwich (he doenst generally put lettuce on sandwiches so being "anti-leaf" isnt uncommon).
So without any more introduction this is what we came up with
Chicken Caprese Sandwiches (yummy enough for dinner)
grilled chicken breasts (brined)
vine ripe tomatoes
fresh mozeralla
pesto
rolls
salt
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
1. brine your chicken in a salt/sugar mixture for 30-60 minutes. Brining will help keep the meat moist and lead to an even salting.
2. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken before grilling
3. While the chicken is on the grill cut your rolls in half. On the bottom half sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
4. Place chicken on dressed rolls, add sliced tomatoes, and thick slices of fresh mozeralla. Lightly salt the cheese. Spinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
5. Place sandwich under the broiler for 1-3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
6. spread a thick layer of pesto on the top half of the roll.
7. place top half of roll on broiled sandwich and return to broiler for 1-3 minutes or until the sandwich sticks together.
8. enjoy!
1 comment:
They were delicious!
Post a Comment