Saturday, May 19, 2012

Spaghetti Bolognese... a favorite around these parts...

Since we had this for dinner this week, and it is one of our favorite dishes (yes even Michael loves it), I thought I would share, or post it so when I am somewhere and forget to bring the recipe I have it. This recipe is based on one from America's Test Kitchen (the 10 years of TV or something like that book), but I have made a few changes (awful I know!) to fit our tastes a little bit. Anyway, even with the tweaks the sauce is meaty and delicious, so good the first day, and yes even delicious if you freeze it and thaw for a quick weeknight dinner. The sauce is easy to make, but you need some time... a lot of time to let things simmer, so I always make a huge batch (ok not huge) and freeze the excess. 

Oh and I have never had Bolognese sauce in Bologna or anywhere that might be relatively authentic, so this is probably just an americanized version of another dish so dont expect authentic Italian cuisine, still a fan though

Spaghetti Bolognese
(serves 8-12 servings (it just depends on how "saucy" you want things to be)

Ingredients
1 yellow onion (minced)
2-4 carrots (minced)
2-4 celery stalks (minced)
2 c. whole milk
2 c. chicken broth
5 T. butter (unsalted)
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
3 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes (not whole, not stewed, not crushed)

Directions
1. Mince vegetables, or if you are lazy (like me), put them all through the food processor. You want the veggies to be really really finely ground. I add them to the ground meat and they blend right it. If you want chunks then I guess just mince them with a knife. 

2. Melt butter in a large dutch oven (aka spaghetti pot) over medium heat, once butter is melted add veggies. Let cook 5-10 minutes or until veggies are softened (see if you ground your veggies up this process is pretty speedy). Add salt, you need a tiny bit more salt than you think you will. I usually just add until I think it's good, but I would guess 1/2 t. kosher salt would be good (taste it once the sauce is done, you can always add more salt).

"Ground Veggies" should look like this, kinda like is ground meat was orange and green. See all the liquid getting released, yum!

3. Add ground meat to vegetable mixture... do NOT  used just ground pork or just ground beef, it will turn out badly.
double meat is important!

Mix everything together.
4. Mix the veggies and two meats together. Cook until the meat is no longer pink on the outside but not entirely done on the inside (about 5 minutes), it will look like the photo below.
 5. Add whole milk to the pan, that's right, just pour it on in- it sounds weird but trust me it is delicious.
 6. Cook until only the fat remains (basically until the milk is clear and not white), it should take about 15 minutes over medium high heat and look like the photo below (I didnt say this was a healthy recipe).
 7. Add chicken broth and cook over medium-medium high heat until mostly evaporated.
 8. Add diced tomatoes AND their juices to the pot. Heat until boiling and then reduce heat to "simmer" or low (whatever your stove says). From this point on your job is pretty much done, simmer 1 hour uncovered, and then 2-3 hours covered or until the sauce reaches your desired consistency. Keep in mind this is a chunky sauce, it isnt going to coat the noodles like a marinara sauce would so dont expect it to thicken up like it has tomato paste in it (cause it doesnt).


 9. The finished sauce should look something like this. Generally, this is the point where I skim off the excess fat, doing it earlier makes for a less flavorful and potentially more healthy sauce, dont be tempted.
 10. Serve... so yummy.

*to freeze, let sauce cool and spoon into freezer bags. We usually freeze one ladleful per person per meal... this recipe usually makes 3 dinners for 2 (and a quarter), and 4-6 lunches for one adult each depending on how much sauce the person prefers.



2 comments:

Bobbidee said...

I didn't know you were such a good cook. Joe was totally impressed with your lasagna AND that is SAYING SOMETHING. Plus we made that other recipe of yours this week--dip/salad stuff. SO GOOD! So we've been enjoying you all week! Thanks!!!

Kurtis and Megan Ford said...

So excited to try this!! Thanks Ash!!