Tuesday, March 2, 2010

NPR makes me chuckle

NPR makes me chuckle. Sometimes I can only handle so much Glenn Beck, and to be honest I can never handle the rest of the conservative talk radio show hosts, so I flip the station to NPR. I should tell you that I was raised on NPR. Some people listened to hard rock, rap, and sports radio, I listened to "Morning Edition", "This American Life", "All Things Considered", and "Fresh Air". There is something refreshing about starting your day with a health dose of Renee Montagne and Steve Insky, and something almost nostaligic about a saturday afternoon filled with the Prairie Home Companion and Ira Glass. I realize that I am one of the few dedicated NPR followers, and that for most people the station is boring, snotty, and often ignored. The format doesnt appeal to everyone, sometimes major news stories, followed by current updates on the local art scene, intemingled with some jazz isnt what you are hoping for in traffic, but for me it is calming, almost like being home in California. I love the subtle way that NPR reporters exert their superiority over other radio talk show hosts, its like somehow because they are able to discuss important matters, like for example the current Supreme Court case focused on the Chicago handgun ban, with the same degree of enthusiasm as less important matters, for example manure tea, they are somehow more trustworthy and knowledgeable. I realize that I have been brainwashed by NPR, maybe there are subliminal messages in the jazz music, but whatever they do I love them. I love the human interests pieces intermingled with international politics, I love the sound clips, and very calm voice that comes on the warn you that traffic is gridlocked. I love the lack of yelling, NPR reporters dont yell, they speak in soothing tones, they are passionate without raising their voices, and somehow that makes me like them. Rarely do I hear anything "funny" on NPR, but most days I learn something, and to be honest that is what I want from my radio station, a bit of learning mixed in with some culture. Oh NPR what would my childhood have been like without you?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love Car Talk on Saturday mornings!