Friday, May 6, 2011

Oh Pitt

Sometimes you have to be grateful that things don't always fall into place the way that you planned. When I started my new job and found out that I was going to be spending the next... forever in Pittsburgh I was a little bit bummed. While there are many good things about Pittsburgh (one of them being that it isnt NYC) there were some serious disadvantages- weather, far from home, and did I mention that my bed is in Dallas? While I was thrilled with the opportunity, at first I was wishing for an assignment closer to home. In February it looked like I might be heading back to Dallas for a bit... but that didnt work out, so I continued to make the weekly trek to Pittsburgh, and then at some point I got put on a project with a "manager" that I enjoyed working with and working on an assignment that was important and gave me the opportunity to grow professionally. I recently got the news that I will continue to work on the project up until I go out on leave, and not only that but I am allowed to work from home! Given that we are are almost in the single digits in our weeks until "Mikey" makes his debut this is a huge blessing! Working from home means not trying to scrape together enough work clothes that fit for the week (this is the worst), not driving in or taking the train, and less stress in general- I could not be more thrilled. If I had known this from the beginning I would have been begging to get shipped off to Pittsburgh.